To get the most out of any SharePoint migration, it is important that you do not just view it as a lift and shift exercise, but that you can actually improve.
Whether you are looking at moving from on premise to the Office 365 cloud, or a change in your business such as a merger, acquisition or a restructure and you have the need to move to a centralised Azure tenancy, your SharePoint migration project needs to be carefully planned to make sure it is a success.
Understand what your current Office 365 environment looks like before you start moving any data. It’s important to have a full picture of what the current state of both environments are. This includes:
– Who the users are and the permissions and settings they have
– What mailbox specifications there are for users
– Groups, including what users are in which group
– The applications that are currently in use, understand which are due for updating and how users and groups use them
– All data entities. Understand where they are stored, whether they are used in applications (if so which ones), how frequently they are used and the size of the data
– How these data entities are backed up and where this happens
Casper365 scans your site collections and provides you with a detailed report showing where the data is held, its last update and which users have access, helping you to understand what to include in your migration plan. It also helps you understand your sensitivity filters, providing full governance and access control during your migration. With the ability to produce a pre–migration report that can be used for sign-off.
Once the pre–migration is signed off, the job can be scheduled, and the migration can happen. When completed, a post-migration report is created to update you with the result: what migrated successfully, if any issues arose and how they were resolved.
This not only allows you to use that data for communication to other departments, but it also provides a complete audit trail as all the data gets uploaded to a site collection on your tenant. In a year from now when someone asks a question relating to that data, you have it on record.
Add to this that with Casper365 you have the full support of the expert Business Cloud Integration team behind you ready to answer any questions or help you move forward with best practice.
Choosing the right tool helps to propel your migration project and create a successful migration that gets your whole organisation to value faster.